Are you looking to refinish your walls but aren’t sure whether to paint or wallpaper? As any decorator will tell you, there are pros and cons to each – and many homeowners today choose a combination of both. Following are some of the points to consider in making your decision.
Advantages of Wallpaper
- Wallpaper can last over 15 years, which makes it a cost-effective solution in the long run. The rule of thumb is that wallpaper will last three times as long as paint.
- Wallpaper adheres easily and smoothly to walls, hiding many surface imperfections.
- Wallpaper can also add warmth, depth and style to a room that monotone paint can’t achieve.
- Chic designs, intriguing textures and colorful prints will enhance the décor of a room and create a designer look in any space.
Disadvantages of Wallpaper
- The process of applying wallpaper is more time-consuming than painting.
- Due to the required materials and time, the cost of wallpaper is typically more expensive.
- When you decide it’s time for a change, you can’t simply paint over the wallpaper or apply different wallpaper without going through the same process again.
- Wallpaper requires a professional hanger. Due to its very precise and unique process, it’s not typically a do-it-yourself project that most homeowners can handle.
- When selling a home, many buyers prefer painted walls that are more neutral versus the subjective nature of wallpaper choices and designs.
Advantages of Painting
- Painting can come at a fairly low cost and is relatively easy to do.
- Many people can do a paint job themselves and simply need to buy the supplies.
- When you tire of a paint color, it’s usually easy to paint over the original color.
Disadvantages of Painting
- Paint offers less color, textures and design options – along with a limited choice of finishes, from matte to glossy.
- Paint can chip, fade and crack over time, so you may need to reapply and touch up your walls fairly frequently.
- Depending on the type of paint you choose, it may require a professional painter to apply it.
There are many factors to consider when making your design decisions – including your budget, personal style and how long you’re going to stay in your home. Whether you choose painting, wallpaper, or a combination of both, one thing is certain: You’ll enjoy a fresh look for years to come with your new walls! Contact us today